Disputing a British Columbia personal injury settlement offer

Disputing a British Columbia personal injury settlement offer

On Behalf of Porter Ramsay LLP | Jan, 27, 2020 | Personal Injury Law

Getting hurt in a vehicle crash can be devastating and can have long-term repercussions. British Columbia residents who suffer a personal injury in motor vehicle incidents due to the negligence of someone else can seek financial compensation from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). However, when an injured party isn’t satisfied with the compensation offered, he or she can dispute the settlement amount.

ICBC offers a claim settlement after having used a number of factors to come to a figure. They can include the percentage of responsibility the claimant had for the incident. Those who don’t agree with ICBC’s findings or settlement offer should first speak with the claim representative at ICBC to ask for a rundown on how the figure presented was ascertained as well as offering any additional information which might have been overlooked

If the claimant still isn’t satisfied, he or she could file a dispute with the Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT). ICBC will adjust a settlement offer in accordance with a CRT ruling. Those incidents which happened prior to April 1, 2019 could be settled in small claims court, but could take several years to resolve.

British Columbia residents who have suffered a personal injury might do well to consult with a lawyer on how to best proceed prior to filing an ICBC claim. The time after an injury can be confusing and difficult. A lawyer may be able to help injured clients to pinpoint how much compensation they merit as well as enlightening them on their rights.

Share this article